Sunday, May 1, 2011

Saucy

One's from Argentina, one's from Spain. One is green, one is red. I'm head-over-heels in love with both of them. I encourage you to try. Please, please try. They'll become your ketchup.

Chimichurri
This is roughly how my grandma makes it. She's Argentinian and a brilliant cook, and among the many dishes she's introduced me to, this is my favorite. Some add other herbs, but I prefer the clean, unadulterated taste of parsley only. I slather way too much of this on my steak, dip my bread in, stir it into salad dressings, drizzle it over eggs. It's verdant and bright and smacks of garlic, and more is never enough.

Several servings

1 bunch of parsley, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes, or more
1/2 cup olive oil
Splash of rice or apple cider vinegar
Salt to taste

Mix it all up. Take a whiff. Let it sit for an hour or a few days, and use on everything.

This stuff stores really well, as long as everything's submerged in the olive oil.

Romesco sauce

Again, this is my riff on a classic Spanish recipe. It's not entirely "authentic," but I think it's damn good. Thick and totally luxurious and ready in just a second. I've seen recipes that use a few different kinds of nuts, but almonds have always worked for me. Serve with meat, on eggs, on bread, or right off the spoon. 

Several servings

1 cup almonds (raw or roasted, unsalted)
2-3 cloves garlic
Large, ripe tomato, blanched with skin removed, and seeded
1 roasted red pepper, skin and seeds removed
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp cider vinegar
Salt to taste

Pulse almonds and garlic in food processor/blender until very finely chopped. Add other ingredients, blend until combined and smooth. That's it!

Here it's served with good bread and my farmers' market scallions, which I charred directly over an open flame and peeled (you can also roast or grill them). Just drag 'em through the sauce like I saw Anthony Bourdain do on his "Spain" episode of "No Reservations," let the excess drip onto the bread, and drink with lots of wine. The Spanish get it right so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment